When Does "Before I Forget" (2025) Take Place?
"BEFORE I FORGET" is a romance? novel written by Tory Henwood Hoen that released December 2nd, 2025. So when is "Before I Forget" set?
It takes place in the years:
We know this because in chapter two, Christine "Cricket" ? narrates to us that "When the first cases of COVID were reported"... then "But as 2020 progressed, we began to worry more about our father." and the famous and tragic worldwide COVID-19 pandemic began in February of 2020 AD. So we know is after February of 2020 AD.

2024 AD - 2025 AD
We know this because in chapter two, Christine "Cricket" ? narrates to us that "When the first cases of COVID were reported"... then "But as 2020 progressed, we began to worry more about our father." and the famous and tragic worldwide COVID-19 pandemic began in February of 2020 AD. So we know is after February of 2020 AD.
More specifically, in chapter one Cricket specifically refers to her father as ..."a seventy-four-year-old with dementia." ? (plus later she jokes that ) and in a later chapter while thinking about her parents, "When they met in 1988, my mother, Tish, was a twenty-six-year-old management consultant and my father was a thirty-eight-year-old engineer who worked for the NYC Department of Environmental Protection." So it has been 36 years since ? was 38-years-old in 1988 AD. That puts us pretty squarely in 2024 AD.
74 - 38 = 36
and
1,988 + 36 = 2,024.
Specifically, chapter one includes the phrase "Nina leaves for Stockholm in two months"… and (as we'll see next) "Nina leaves for Stockholm in June"... So it is April of 2024 AD at the start of the story.
6.2,024 - 2 months = 4.2,024.
Later, she worries that "I have one month to learn the ropes of caregiving before Nina leaves for Stockholm in June"... so it is currently May of 2024 AD.
6.2,024 - 1 month = 5.2,024.
Soon, "On the morning Nina is to leave for Stockholm, I wake in my creaky twin bed from a confounding dream"... so it is June of 2024 AD at this point.
Eventually,
Additionally, the book’s middle chapters are flashbacks to Cricket’s teen years and personal tragedy:
Chapter ten begins, “The year I was sixteen, I failed my driver's test”... Very, very early in the novel .
26? - 16 = 10
and
2,024 - 10 = 2,014.
Furthermore, a subheading under "Chapter 10" declares it is "June 2015" so .

